Advantage International, LLC Travel Club

Welcome, this is the travel page for members of the Advantage International, LLC Travel Club (www.Advantage-intl.com). Here you can keep updated on member trips and activities, share experiences and discuss issues. ENJOY

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year New You

Oh my goodness! It's that time of year again. Time for a soliloquy. Where have I been? What have I learned? What do I want and/or need to change? Hmmmm, let me think....... I've been to Egypt, Dubai, Croatia, Sheboygan, South Africa, Aruba, Brazil, Denmark. What I've learned along the way? There is nothing to fear but fear itself. I went hang gliding in Brazil. The experience was liberating and absolutely breathtaking! You must add an adventure to your travels. Do something to push the envelope. It will change you. Sustainability is easier than you think for yourself and your country. We'd all be better off for it. In Denmark I visited a hotel that operates mostly on this principle. From the design and construction of the building to the food. Solar panels are built in, ground water is used to heat and cool the building, the wasted food, which there is a ton of at hotels, is used as compost in their organic farm, the country has the largest wind turbine plants in the world, 80% of the people bike and there are concessions for electric cars for 10 years! The middle east is just as diverse as any other part of the world. Egypt is a mix of liberal and conservative Muslims but overall more liberal with ancient structures and history. No alcohol is served outside of hotels and cruise ships while Dubai, UAE is far more conservative in Islamic practice but far more modern. Basically catering to foreign vacationers and alcohol is served at just about any establishment that caters to foreign visitors. Dubrovnik is beautiful and very classic European. I've been pronouncing it wrong. The emphasis is on Du not Brov. It's been just 20 years since Croatia declared it's independence from the former Yugoslavia. And just 13 years since Serbia occupied a piece of Croatia. In Aruba everyone is affectionately called mi dushi, Papiamento for my sweet or sweetie. Call someone Mi Dushi and they will love you for it. It doesn't seem to matter who you are speaking to. We came upon a public official and our guide called out to her "hey mi dushi." Pronounced dooshee. South Africa remains one of my favorite destinations. It's now on the list of emerging markets or as we call them in the industry BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China & South Africa). I came upon a lot of nationals traveling and vacationing within their own country. That's a great sign. Sheboygan was a nice getaway and road trip. Sometimes you don't have to travel far for a cultural experience. yes, I said cultural experience. Each of our states and some of cities have their own culture. Sheboygan is a quiet seaside resort town with a close knit community. Lake Michigan is really an inland sea! This was my second deep sea fishing adventure but my first catch. It was a five pound lake salmon. They smoked it for me and mailed it to me. OK, we did not go out that far but it was far enough. It wasn't a thirty pound marlin but it was just right for me. My soliloquy is that it's actually been about 4 years since I've had a VACATION. With client trips, press trips and site inspections, I'm traveling most of the year and I truly love all of my experiences. I just can't remember the last time I went on a trip when it was just me and the hubby, sleeping in late, making up the day as we go along and discovering without schedule. I guess I need to practice what I preach. Happy New Year and resolve to travel and experience! Ja'Vonne Harley

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,